Monday 13 February 2012

"All right, hold it!" BTC, a new way of blogging


Good day readers, today I would like to start a new way of blogging. (Might not be new, but hey, its new to me :) A sort of blog/Training-Course for Internet server-client related software.
This is be best area of my software expertise and I have found it incredibly fun, interesting, and helpful. I hope I can give you some of the same feelings after you finish this BTC (blog/training-course)

What is a BTC?
I don’t really know. To be honest I made up the term. Basically, I have quite a large and interesting subject I would like to cover and it wont all fit in one post. So I decided I would make a little course out of it. I don’t want to swamp you with a huge, lengthy, and information filled post. I want to give you regular class-like reviews with tutorials with assignments. Believe me this is going to be fun for me, and I hope this will be fun and maybe even useful for you too.

What will this BTC be about?
This BTC will be about Internet related software and will help you understand everything from Network Protocols to Port Mapping to Dynamic Naming Services to Virtual Network Computing. Don’t worry if you don’t know any of these terms. At the end of this blog topic/training-course, you will have at least a basic knowledge of the Internet, your computer, and only what they can accomplish together.

We will start this BTC off with a bang and go with something that’s real fun.
Not to long a discovered something in the world of computing, something that I think is the coolest thing since the web browser; it’s called VNC.  The acronym “VNC” stands for “Virtual Network Computing”. Developed by Cambridge University in England in the at the turn of the millennium and further developed by AT&T Research labs (These are the guys who invented the most powerful operating system in the world; UNIX) VNC allows you to have full control to a remote computer, right down to the very entering of text from your keyboard or the click of a mouse. It’s all transmitted to the remote computer via Internet or local area connection (LAN) at the same time it relays the remote computers screen.

This technology has endless applications. From browsing the Internet on the remote computer screen (don’t know why you would want to do that) to manually turning on a server that has crashed and you can find a remedy through SSH or the classic terminal remote login which been used for ages. (We will get to SSH later on) Now you might think: “remote server?” “That’s way too hard and too tedious to setup.” Or  “I don’t have use for that” or “I don’t have a website or a public fileserver or anything of the such.” It doesn’t stop there my friend.

How VNC has helped me:
Well I’ll be honest with you. I have something near 6 computers and all of them have to be managed and setup with new software, and time limits for those that use them, and more administration stuff.  Now, before I had to get up and go to those computer every time I need to change a setting, or install a new software, or start a server on that machine. Now I can just setup the VNC server on each of those machines. Each with a unique IP (and a password… or else…) so that I can just sit back and do all I want right from my favorite desktop. No need to go running around the house or the office. Right from logging into that computer to visiting the preferences panel of whatever I want to change.
Now you can too! With this course I will be making a regular post, each with a new aspect of VNC and a tutorial on how to set it up. Stick with me and soon enough you will feel the amazing felling of real control right under your fingertips.
Anyway I hope you enjoy this series of IT training I am going to put together.

Thank you for reading the introduction to this course. Hopefully it has whetted your curious appetite and you’re ready for some real fun. Please subscribe to receive updates on posts, which will include the review, tutorial, and assignments for this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment